Sunday, October 4, 2009

gypsies!

Most amazing thing EVER, my hotel has wireless, and the strongest connection EVER! Aside from the disco that shares a wall with our (very nice) room, which blasted music with DJ and flashing lights till 3am, this place is great. I will say I didn't notice the music after my head hit the pillow last night. Tonight it's quite

Arrived to Romania with a full moon rising on the left and a golden sun setting on the right. I kept falling asleep but would force myself awake every two minutes to look at the sights, too beautiful to miss. The landscape and towns aren't necessarily anything to rave about though. Some nice brown and gold fields, hills, corn, and concrete houses with tiled roofs. Girls have big sunglasses and lots of eye liner and boys have that European sports wear on. The only thing that has made my day, my week, my month is I saw gypsies!! Or, I'm pretty sure I did. I mean, horse and wagon and big family. What is it that fascinates me about these people?! The travelers. hmm. They have quite a horrific history, especially in the communist time of Romania and the very unknown tragic tale during the Holocaust.

Anyway, first day of filming went pretty smooth. Quick what the project is: Habitat for Humanity BIG BUILD 2009. 10 houses 1 week 250 volunteers. Most of the new house owners were orphans, they will be working side by side to build the houses with volunteers mainly from Ireland.

We interviewed 3 of the soon to be homeowners and looked at their old / now homes & living conditions. Pretty impossible to imagine editing an interview when it's in a language completely unknown, although we did have a translator.

House frames go up tomorrow, good for a timelapse!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you could use a "flash card" type instant translation. The translator could scribble key words on pieces of cardboard as the interview is taking place and hold them up in the background. Think of all the time you'd save editing!

    Is the word "gypsie" ok to use or is "roma" now the pc term?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela - You will love the gypsies in Ireland (which I hear is your next stop). Sharon Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog - SO wonderful - imagine that! Angela's amazing travels and fabulous projects all in one place - no matter where in the world she is...
    Love to you, E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duh! The reason why you love them is because they are kindred spirits. They love to travel. You love to travel.

    Jin Ah

    ReplyDelete