Sunday, October 4, 2009

winning game of charades





The universal language of the world is charades. I had the winning hand tonight as I mimed for maybe 5 minutes that I wanted to borrow a power strip for the night to the woman at the front desk. There is a major LACK of outlets in pretty much every country other than the US. I gave a full mime show... unfortunately she wasn't laughing. There was a breakthrough moment when I found a power strip behind the fridge and proceed to mime taking it to "bed" with me and "waking up" with it and "returning it". I tried some spanish every now and then just to make myself feel better...didn't work. But, I do have a power strip for the night. I'm not even sure if the woman knew I was staying in her hotel. The language here is the strangest combination. I clearly recognize words from French and Italian, actually sometimes use "Merci" for "thankyou". Unfortunately they don't seem to combine Spanish, although I keep trying. I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Shooting today was, well, overwhelming. One camera (me) is not enough for 300 people and 10 houses- all with the frames going up. Such an amazing day visually. Oh and SO dusty, I think the dustiest situation I've ever had to shoot in (Josh correct me if I'm forgetting!).

Saw gypsies...or Roma...or Ramani... again today. I'm not sure who is staring and smiling harder at whom though. They have the biggest grin and biggest eyes, and as I smile and stare wide eyed at them, they look just as intently back. Hopefully it's a mutual fascination.

Day 3...or wait 4? oh who knows: start with a sunrise then tiling the roofs etc.

3 comments:

  1. Sunshine, mountain backdrop, people scurring around like colorfuly capped LEGO characters, what more could you ask for?!

    Note to self: Put power-strip on film travel checklist.

    Glad to see that water bottle close at hand, keep hydrated.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your photo and the image of your wide eyes and smile meeting the same from the gypsies - wow, gypsies! your gypsy mom is in maine at the moment. nice to know we are still on the same planet sharing the same spectacular moon. xoxoxo mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome pics! (and you may have the dustiest yet - although, bike greece was pretty dusty with all the driving behind bikes)

    ReplyDelete